MBBS in Russia
Before discussing about MBBS in Russia, let us first know a little about Russia. Formerly known as USSR & officially known as the Russian Federation is the largest country in the world covering an area of more than 1,70,75,200 sq. kms. and thus making it larger than the continents of Europe, Antarctica & Oceania. The country’s soil is a very rich source of natural resources like natural gas, petroleum, coal, minerals, ores & timber. Russian has a coastline of more than 35,000 kms. running along the Pacific & Arctic oceans. The country has thousands of rivers & in-land water bodies making the country largest surface water resource in whole world. Russia’s lakes contain approx. 1/4th of whole world’s liquid fresh water. The largest Russia’s wader body is Lake Baikal, which is the world’s oldest, deepest, & purest fresh water lake. This lake alone contains more than 1/5th of world’s fresh surface water.
Moscow (Moskva in Russia) is the capital city of Russia & some other major cities of Russia being St. Petersburg, Kazan, Novosibirsk & Ekaterinburg. The climate of Russia has 2 major seasons i.e. summers & winters. The other 2 seasons of spring & autumn are for a very short period due to the huge difference in low & high temperatures of summers & winters. Average temperature in summers are 25 to 35 degrees & between 5 to -15 degrees in winters. However, the winters can be extreme and temperature can take a dip down to -30 or -40 too, with January being the coldest month of an year.
Study MBBS in Russia
The Russian Federation (aka. Russia) in the first choice of Indian students when it comes to choosing a country for MBBS abroad. MBBS in Russia has been in limelight since the Soviet Era. There are dozens of Russian medical universities that occupy top positions among the best medical universities list published by WDOMS (World Directory of Medical Schools) every year. All of the top medical universities are Russia are run by government solely. These government medical universities of Russia are controlled by Ministry of Health of Russian federation & Ministry of Science and Higher Education & Science. With population of the Russian federation being not as much as of India, there is not much crisis of medical seats availability. The easy availability of medical seats combined with their great infrastructure & a very handsome affordable fees are some of the main factors that attract huge number of students from India for MBBS in Russia every year.
MBBS in Russia is offered in Russian & English medium both. Russian medium of instruction is for citizen of Russia as they prefer to study in their own language. The English medium MBBS course in Russia was initiated just after the year 2000 due to the changing global standards & requirements. And from that very year, all medical universities that had launched English medium course started to see a steep rise in number of students applications (from India especially) who showed interest in studying MBBS in Russia. With most of these government medical universities in Russia already being in the recognized list of Medical Council of India since a long time, students did not have to worry at all when they decided to step out for MBBS in Russia.
Today, there are more than 75 medical universities of Russia that are included in the MCI (Medical Council of India) website and all of them easily get required number of students every year. It is a win-win situation for the Russian universities as well as Indian students opting for them. In the last 15 years, several batches completed their course of studying MBBS in Russia and are either successfully practicing in India or in some other part of the world. With each year passing by since the first batch of MBBS students graduated from Russia, there has been an increase every year in the number of students going abroad. After all, with more than 14 Lac students appearing in NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance test) ever year in India and only 55,000-60,000 medical seats available for them; MBBS in Russia is the right place for students who do not want to blame their luck in future for the lack of seats & a missed opportunity.
The course of MBBS in Russia is known by the name of MD (Physician). The student are awarded the degree of MD (Physician) after successful completion of their courses, but after they return back to India and qualify the MCI/National Exit Test, they are given the registration of a MBBS doctor in India. The duration of medical education in Russia is of 6 years (Exactly 5 years 8 months) in English medium and of 7 years (Exactly 6 years 8 months) if the student chooses to study MBBS in Russian medium. The course in Russian medium includes 1 year of additional preparatory course for learning Russian language post which the medical course is started, hence 7 years. Almost all Indian students opt for English medium MBBS in Russia keeping in mind the fact they see their future back in India after completion of MBBS in Russia.
The classes in Russia are conducted in groups, with no group of student exceeding 15 students. It helps the professors to pay more attention to each student of group and eventually a better understanding for students. The exams are conducted in written, oral & practical variants in offline (paper & pen) as well as online mode. The grading system is bases on grades from 1 to 5 with grade 5 meaning the best score & grade 2 considered as fail. Apart from all the regular tests & exams of all subjects happening all along the duration of MBBS course in Russia, students have to take a government licensing exam in 6th year as their final exam before the MBBS degrees are awarded to them.
The best thing about studying MBBS in Russia is that students get a lot of practical knowledge. The students get to regularly visit various government city hospitals just after 2 years of their course, once sufficient theoretical knowledge base has been built up in them. All students who do MBBS in Russia are taught Russian language free of cost from the very first year of their course so that from 3rd year of their education they do not face any issues in communicating with the local patients they meet in hospitals. By the end of their course, student have a solid practical knowledge and also learn an additional language too for the rest of their lives. Students also get to work with duty doctors in hospitals in last years of their course and may also find a chance to serve day or night duties in some city hospital.
Benefits of MBBS in Russia
Some of the most important benefits of studying MBBS in Russia are as follows :
- No donation or entrance exam to be taken by students in India for MBBS admission in Russia
- Admission given solely on the basis of eligibility requirements i.e. 50% marks in PCB in 12th & 17 years of age (NEET qualification as per government rules)
- MBBS fees in Russia for whole course falls between 13 Lac to 30 Lac to cater to needs of all sorts of students
- Full course of MBBS education in English medium especially designed for international students
- All universities offering admission are recognized by WHO (World Health Organization) as well as MCI (Medical Council of India)
- Classes with not more than 15 students for better learning
- Separate hostel for foreign students (mostly Indians) with round the clock security
- All basic amenities available in hostels and are free of cost for all students
- Different types of accommodation options available to students like 2/3/4 seat rooms in hostel or flat accommodation outside campus
- Available option to practice medicine there itself just after completion of MBBS course
- A huge community of Indian students currently studying MBBS in Russia
- Students can also appear in USMLE, PLAB, NZREX, etc. to study in PG (Post graduation) in any of these countries
- Various student exchange programs & summer internships offered by medical colleges in Russia
- Regular extra-curricular activities conducted by universities for overall personality development of students
MBBS in Russia is one of the most relevant choices one can make while choosing to steer ahead in his/her career of pursuing MBBS education abroad. Some useful information that might clear most of one’s doubts is as mentioned below :
- The country receives immense support and funding from government in order to maintain higher standards of medical education for it’s own nationals as well as international students.
- All universities that provide the opportunity to study MBBS in Russia are recognized by WHO & MCI, and hence the Indian students graduating from any of these can practice medicine anywhere in whole world including India.
- The national language of Russia is Russian, however the many people of Russia also understand English as well.
- Indian students who study MBBS in Russia get the opportunity to participate in various exchange programs conducted by universities. With the help of these programs they get the opportunity to travel to various other countries of Europe and learn about new advancements in field of medicine.
- The total fee for studying MBBS in Russia for Indian students falls in the affordable spectrum for an Indian family and the cost of living is quite low as compared to other western as well as European countries.
- Indian students generally stay in the hostels provided by university, however they can also choose to rent a flat/apartment in city and live by themselves.
- The degree awarded to Indian students is MD (Physician) which is equivalent to MBBS in India and the duration of MBBS course is 5 years 8 months (often known as 6 years).
- Almost all government medical universities that today offer MBBS in Russia today have English medium course for Indian students. The entire course of MBBS in Russia is taught in English and additionally, students are also taught local language (As a subject with regular tests of it) so that they never find it difficult to communicate with local people and get to know the country better.
- The facilities and security for international citizens (Indian students) are much superior and far better controlled when compared to India, and hence student’s parents can be assured that their wards are at a very safe destination.
- All admissions to study MBBS in Russia are done solely on eligibility criteria decided by university and that of MCI (For India) on a first come first serve basis without any donation being involved.
- MBBS in Russia can prove to be the best option for pursuing medical education abroad for Indian students if you are qualified in NEET but unfortunately could not either secure a seat or afford the fees in India.
- The average cost of living is very affordable when compared to other countries in Europe. Students can easily spend a month in USD 100 with their food expenses, travelling within city in public transport, miscellaneous expenses included.
- Indian mess is available in all MBBS universities in Russia where Indian students are currently studying. Students can choose to have food in Indian mess where Indian food is served or prepare food by themselves to save a bit.
- Going by the world rankings, the students have this golden opportunity to get admission in MBBS in Russia in universities which are ranked among top world universities and yes, much higher than government medical universities of India too.
- The teachers and professors who are engaged in training foreign students including Indians, are either experienced doctors or hold a PhD degree and have proficiency in teaching in English medium.
- Classes never have more than 15 students and it makes it really easy and comfortable for Indian students to directly interact with their teachers and clear doubts.
- Each university in Russia has a fixed number of MBBS seats for foreign students so students must always decide well in time to be able to get opportunity to study MBBS in Russia in university of their choice.
- All facilities like electricity, hot & cold water, laundry, heating system in rooms, etc. Is free of cost for students and is by default already included in the government hostel fees that student pays to university.
- Students get clinical exposure from 4thyear to 6th year when they interact directly with patients in government hospitals located within city while they devote most of their time in learning theoretical section during the first 3 years of their MBBS in Russia.