MBBS in China
Well, most us have heard students talking about doing MBBS in China, but let us first know a little bit about the country. China, officially known as the People’s Republic of China (PRC) is the world’s most populated country & located in the eastern part of Asia. It is the 4th largest country of world by area after Russia, Canada & USA. The country is separated by the great Himalaya, Karakoram & Pamir mountains from the southern & central part of Asia. The country has the longest land border of 22,000 kms. and shares it’s border with 14 other nations. China is the world’s super power in terms of trade activity. It is the fastest growing economy in the world in terms of purchasing power & GDP. It also has the world’s largest standing army & 2nd largest defense budget in world.
China experiences a dry summer season & a wet monsoon which leads to a huge difference in temperatures of summers & winters. The country has winters with snow in some regions & others with no snow in winters. Due to the huge variation of topography found along the width of Chinese sub continent, there are variety of climates experienced by people in different parts of it. Beijing is the official capital f the People’s Republic of China. It is the 2nd most populated city in China with a population of 1,64,00,000 just behind Shanghai which has a population of 2,02,17,000. The most commonly language spoken is Mandarin i.e. standard Chinese based on the dialect of Mandarin language as spoken in Beijing. The Mandarin language has many other dialects too based on regions.
Study MBBS in China
Students who think of doing MBBS in China should know one thing that it is one country which invests more & more in education every year than other countries. The country is promoting it’s campaign to accept students from India for MBBS in China by even offering various scholarships. The country has more than 18 of it’s universities in top 100 medical universities of the world list. The medical universities in China are run by the government through Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of China and Ministry of Education of China.
All of it’s medical universities are approved by WHO (World Health Organization), included in WDOMS (World Directory of Medical Schools) & recognized by MCI (Medical Council of India) too. The thing to know well before time is that MBBS colleges in China do not offer as many seats as MBBS colleges in Russia, Ukraine or Kyrgyzstan does. Most of it’s universities offer 40 to maximum 150 seats for foreign students every year. So if one plans to get admission in China, he/she must be fast to apply for a seat just at the right time or else he misses it.
The course of MBBS in China is available in English medium. Currently there are approx. 50 medical universities that are allowed by the Medical Council of India where students can take admission to study MBBS in China in English medium. More than 6,000 students take admission in China every year from India alone. The professors & doctors involved in imparting education to international students are highly skilled with immense experience in their fields. In contrary to what most of us believe about China in India, they are very friendly with Indians and welcome students with generosity. It’s probably in their tradition to be an excellent host & always welcome their guests.
The duration of MBBS in China is of 5 years. It is less as compared to MBBS in Russia & Ukraine and similar to the duration as in Kyrgyzstan. The degree awarded to students in China after completion of their course is MBBS. Students must clear a national government licensing exam as the final examination of their courses to get their degrees. After which they can appear in the MCI Screening Test/FMGE/National Exit Test to further get their registration done in India as a registered MBBS practitioner.
Each class has 15 students in batch. Lower number of students in class allows teachers to pay proper attention to each of them. The students get equal opportunity of theoretical as well as practical knowledge while studying MBBS in China. They get to visit the hospitals regularly to communicate with local patients from their 2nd year of education. Students are also taught the local language of China i.e. Mandarin, so that they are easily able to communicate with local patients & understand them before preparing their diagnosis & reporting it back to their doctors in English.
The grading system of MBBS in China is done on a 5/4 scale i.e. Grades from A to F (Skipping E) denote from the highest score to the lowest/fail. Tests & exams are conducted on a very regular basis in China. They are done in offline & online mode and are taken in oral, written, practical, MCQ types, etc. MBBS in China has been one of the oldest destinations for students from India. The quality & standard of education being imparted in China is well recognized in India and students prefer it as one the best destinations for medical education abroad.
Benefits of MBBS in China
There are a whole lot of benefits of studying MBBS in China which are as mentioned below :
- No donation required for MBBS in China & no entrance exam too
- Admissions solely on the basis of eligibility i.e. 50% marks in PCB in 12th; 17 years of age; NEET qualification (As decided by government)
- Affordable MBBS fees in China starting from 14 Lac for whole course including hostel accommodation
- Full course of MBBS conducted in English especially for international students
- All medical universities are recognized by WHO (World Health Organization) and MCI (Medical Council of India)
- Classes do not have more than 15 students for a better teaching atmosphere
- Separate hostel for foreign students with all modern security facilities
- All basic amenities available in foreign students hostel and are given free of cost in hostel
- Choice of accommodation available to students like 2/3/4 seat rooms in hostel or flat accommodation outside campus
- Mess is available for Indian students especially
- Students have the option to practice medicine in China just after completion of MBBS in China
- Large number of Indian students already studying in all universities
- Students can appear in USMLE, PLAB, NZREX, etc. for further PG education in USA, UK & other countries while doing their course
- Several student exchange programs available & summer internships are also offered by medical colleges in China
- Regular extra-curricular activities are organized by universities for students
MBBS in China is one of the most relevant choices one can make while choosing to steer ahead in his/her career of pursuing MBBS education abroad. Some useful information that might clear most of one’s doubts is as mentioned below :
- The country receives immense support and funding from government in order to maintain higher standards of medical education for it’s own nationals as well as international students.
- All universities that provide the opportunity to study MBBS in China are recognized by WHO & MCI, and hence the Indian students graduating from any of these can practice medicine anywhere in whole world including India.
- The national language of China is Chinese, however the many people of China also understands English and can speak as well.
- Indian students who study MBBS in China get the opportunity to participate in various exchange programs conducted by universities. With the help of these programs they get the opportunity to travel to various other countries of Europe and learn about new advancements in field of medicine.
- The total fee for studying MBBS in China for Indian students falls in the most affordable spectrum for an Indian family and the cost of living is quite low as compared to other western as well as European countries.
- Indian students generally stay in the hostels provided by university, however they can also choose to rent a flat/apartment in city and live by themselves.
- The degree awarded to Indian students is MD (Physician) which is equivalent to MBBS in India and the duration of MBBS course is 5 years.
- Almost all government medical universities that today offer MBBS in China today have English medium course for Indian students. The entire course of MBBS in China is taught in English and additionally, students are also taught local language (As a subject with regular tests of it) so that they never find it difficult to communicate with local people and get to know the country better.
- The facilities and security for international citizens (Indian students) are much superior and far better controlled when compared to India, and hence student’s parents can be assured that their wards are at a very safe destination.
- All admissions to study MBBS in China are done solely on eligibility criteria decided by university and that of MCI (For India) on a first come first serve basis without any donation being involved.
- MBBS in China can prove to be the best option for pursuing medical education abroad for Indian students if you are qualified in NEET but unfortunately could not either secure a seat or afford the fees in India.
- The average cost of living is very affordable when compared to other countries in Europe. Students can easily spend a month in USD 100 with their food expenses, travelling within city in public transport, miscellaneous expenses included.
- Indian mess is available in all MBBS universities in China where Indian students are currently studying. Students can choose to have food in Indian mess where Indian food is served or prepare food by themselves to save a bit.
- Going by the world rankings, the students have this golden opportunity to get admission in MBBS in China in universities which are ranked among top world universities and yes, much higher than government medical universities of India too.
- The teachers and professors who are engaged in training foreign students including Indians, are either experienced doctors or hold a PhD degree and have proficiency in teaching in English medium.
- Classes never have more than 15 students and it makes it really easy and comfortable for Indian students to directly interact with their teachers and clear doubts.
- Each university in China has a fixed number of MBBS seats for foreign students so students must always decide well in time to be able to get opportunity to study MBBS in China in university of their choice.
- All facilities like electricity, hot & cold water, laundry, heating system in rooms, etc. Is free of cost for students and is by default already included in the government hostel fees that student pays to university.
- Students get clinical exposure from 3rdyear to 5th year when they interact directly with patients in government hospitals located within city while they devote most of their time in learning theoretical section during the first 2 years of their MBBS in China.